Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

Orlando Modification Lawyer

Post-Divorce Court Order Modifications

Divorce is a huge change for a family, and many decisions must be made at the time of divorce for everyone involved to move forward. But that doesn’t mean life stops changing once a divorce is final. Ex-spouses remarry, children get older, people make career moves, and some decide to relocate. We at Arwani Law Firm are here for when the terms of your divorce decree, including child support, timesharing, and alimony, need to be modified as time passes. With years of experience helping families navigate change, our Orlando modification lawyers understand the importance of ensuring such orders are kept up to date, so that your needs and those of your children may continue to be met.

Reasons for Modifications of Court Orders in Florida

In Florida, a former spouse or parent may ask a court to modify a divorce-related court order if either party’s circumstances, or a child’s, have significantly changed since the order was issued. Most modifications will require showing that the change has been substantial, was unanticipated at the time of the original order, is continuing for some time, and will continue into the future, such as:

  • Loss of income for a paying ex-spouse or parent
  • Diagnosis of a serious medical condition that results in a change of ability to earn income or requires a change of parenting responsibilities
  • Remarriage or cohabitation by either ex-spouse
  • Birth or adoption of another child
  • Changes in a child’s health or education needs
  • Relocation of one parent

Whatever your current situation may be, divorce-related court orders can often be amended to remain compliant with Florida law, or modified to serve the best interests of your children. It’s important to know, however, that courts have broad discretion when it comes to modifying court orders, which means you must be very precise and back up your request with evidence to obtain the exact modification you want. Vice versa, if your ex-spouse is seeking to make a modification you do not agree with, you must show with specificity why your existing arrangement should not change. Sometimes, when both ex-spouses acknowledge the need to address a significant life change that’s affecting the workability of a court order, they can work together to file an agreed-upon modification request. In all of these scenarios, a family lawyer in Orlando from Arwani Law Firm can help you.

Talk to an experienced Orlando family law attorney about modifying the terms of your divorce to meet your needs.

Your divorce is not the end of your story. If the next chapter brings a major plot twist, we can help you obtain necessary modifications to any existing court orders that no longer reflect your needs or capabilities. To learn more about post-divorce modifications in Florida, please contact our office in Orlando.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

At the Arwani Law Firm, our Orlando divorce lawyers will work together to get you the best possible outcome in your case, while treating you with the utmost respect and compassion. When you meet with us, you’ll see we love what we do, and you’ll feel that enthusiasm as we work through your legal matter.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation