Orlando Contested Divorce Lawyer
If you’re currently contemplating divorce in Florida, you and your spouse have probably not been on the same page in your relationship for some time. When disagreements in your marriage have become particularly contentious, it’s probably true that they’ll carry over into divorce proceedings. Under the circumstances, emotions can take over and almost every issue will be in dispute, so you could face quite a battle in a contested divorce.
However, it is possible to work through the process with less stress when you have skilled legal counsel on your side. Our attorneys at the Arwani Law Firm focus on the legal matters and take emotion out of the equation, so we can ensure protection of your rights. Please contact us to set up a consultation with an Orlando contested divorce lawyer, and read on for some general information about these cases.
Issues to Address in Contested Divorce
While every case is different, there are three key components to divorce proceedings in Florida:
- Property Division: State law requires equitable distribution of all marital assets between the parties to a divorce, including real estate, bank accounts, investments, personal and household items, and more. Debts are also subject to distribution. The most common disputes are:
- What is “marital,” since any property acquired and debt incurred before the marriage is usually considered the separate assets of one party; and,
- How to equitably distribute property and debts, since “equitable” doesn’t necessarily mean a 50-50 split; fairness and justness are the focus.
- Alimony: Spousal support is one of the most hotly contested issues in divorce, especially regarding:
- Whether it’s appropriate for one party to receive it; and,
- What type of alimony would be suitable, among such options as bridge-the-gap, rehabilitative, durational, and permanent;
- The amount of alimony; and,
- How long alimony should be paid.
- Issues Related to Minor Children: When a couple has minor children, custody, visitation, and support are among the most important matters that the parties must address. These issues must be resolved according to Florida’s child’s best interests standard, so disagreement may develop over how to meet the requirements.
Contested Divorce Proceedings in Florida
When parties disagree over any of the above issues, it’s necessary for the court to make a determination. A judge can only do so after reviewing the facts and applying the relevant laws, which means going through a hearing. You can trust our attorneys at the Arwani Law Firm to protect your interests throughout the proceedings, which are similar to a trial. Our objective will be presenting arguments, evidence, and testimony to obtain the best possible outcome for you.
Count on an Orlando, FL Contested Divorce Lawyer for Support
When bitter disputes are taking their toll on the divorce process, it’s important to have skilled legal counsel on your side to fight for your rights. Our team at the Arwani Law Firm has considerable courtroom experience, so we’re prepared to advocate on your behalf throughout the process. Please contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our Orlando contested divorce attorneys.